Gluten-Free, Gouda Grilled Cheese
People are wildly mistaken in assuming that the gluten-free diet has to be hum-drum and boring. In fact, soon, I will post some photographs of other foods I have been making lately, just to show you how good it can be.
For now, I will stay on topic. I am still working on perfecting my own version of grilled cheese. But, for now, this is a hit at my house, with all four children.
- Udi's gluten-free (as well as wheat, dairy, soy, and nut free) white sandwich bread - fresh (not frozen)
- organic butter, thin slices from the stick
- shredded cheese
- Gouda cheese, sliced thinly
- olive oil
- Pour some olive oil in a non-stick pan and turn the stove on to low-medium heat. While the pan is heating up, prepare the bread for making grilled cheese, by putting 3-4 thin slices of butter on each piece of bread, adding a next layer of shredded cheese, and then topping one of the (two) slices used to make a sandwich with slices of Gouda cheese. Once the pan is heated, place the pieces of bread in the pan until the cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese has begun to melt (I didn't wait until every strand was melted), I combined two slices of bread into a sandwich.
- Wait 20-30 sec and flip the sandwich over, and the grilled cheese is ready to serve.
Well, I guess this isn't technically a 'grilled' cheese sandwich. But, it is the same idea, and I can call it whatever I want, right?!
Today, I had mine with fresh strawberries and mango.
The children and I were satisfied. And, I am not even a fan of sandwiches. In fact, I have a distaste for most anything that involves sandwiches or placing food between two slices of bread.