Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vegetarian Chili

2011-1-26

Vegetarian Chili

An individual who became my best friend in the 4th grade recently purchased a Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Meals book. Partially inspired by Julia Powell as portrayed in "Julie & Julia" and mostly inspired by a long-lasting growing friendship. My plan is a bit slower than that of Julie, one recipe from not Julia Child's book but one recipe from Vegetarian Meals per week. This is my revised version of recipe #1 in the Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Meals cookbook. [ADDENDUM: I just realized on February 2, that this recipe is actually recipe #3 in the recipe book.]

Of the various spices that go into different versions of chili, this is, by far, my favorite. Per usual, I turned the written recipe into something else and made it my own, some changes including using different kinds of beans to adding tomato sauce and water. Anyways, I am proud of the concoction that resulted.

One change I would make is: use LESS salt. The vegetable broth, I suspect, is already plenty salty; didn't taste it ahead of time and wish I had. I ended up eating mine over rice; surprise, surprise.

Here's my version of the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large red onion, cut thinly (perhaps diced would have been a good choice)
  • 1/2 of a 32 oz bag of small carrots, cut into thirds or fourths
  • 1 medium organic butternut squash, peeled and cut into small squares
  • 3 green onions, washed and cut thinly
  • 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, pressed through a garlic press
  • 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1 15.5 oz can of dark red kidney beans, without the juice
  • 1 15.5 oz can of black beans, without the juice
  • a few tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sea salt (this is what I would recommend after using more than 1 tbsp)
  • 1 tbsp red sugar
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 cups of water
Directions:
  • In a pan, with olive oil, cook the red onion on medium heat until transparent. Then set aside.
  • In a pot on medium to high heat, throw in the carrots, butternut squash, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, green onions, vegetable broth and water. Once the carrots are more tender, add in the sugar, sea salt, and chili powder. Leave simmering for awhile.
I've got to confess that the aroma from the soup leaves me salivating and wanting seconds and thirds, even though I am full to the brim. Enjoy, my friends.



By the way, I'm not sure you can tell from the photographs, but steam is rising from the bowl of soup.

No comments: