Kimchi Fried Rice
Today, dipping my fingers into first-time ventures took me in the direction of making kimchi fried rice. I must confess that my one major short-cut was that I did not make the kimchi, from scratch or on my own; I bought it from a Korean grocery store.
- fried rice
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced very thinly
- kimchi juice
- kimchi, sliced very thinly
- make fried rice - this time, I used frozen peas, carrots, corn; egg; Applegate organic (gluten-free) uncured beef hot dogs
- bring kimchi to a boil in a sauce pan - I don't know that this is a necessary step, but I used kimchi juice that had been sitting around for a bit (in the refrigerator), long after the kimchi had been consumed, and I felt better killing any unfriendly germs that might have gathered
- fry thinly sliced sweet onion, with some olive oil, in a pan until nearly transparent. then add kimchi.
- add kimchi and onion to fried rice.
- in a clean pan, cook an egg sunny side-up. i like the yoke a bit runny. i made sure the whites of the egg were cooked well by cooking by flipping over the egg to make sure both sides of the whites were cooked (and not transparent). whilst cooking the egg, I drizzled freshly grounded rainbow peppercorns and freshly grounded garlic sea salt.
- to finish, I put the kimchi fried rice, adding the egg sunny side-up on top.
I am delighted my dish was such a hit. The popularity of the dish alone made my day.