Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shiitake Mushroom, Udon Soup

2011-1-5

Shiitake Mushroom, Udon Soup

I love, love, love udon. Anyone else? Am also a super huge fan of shiitake mushrooms. Thought of it as a treat whenever we had it growing up. They were usually dried, but I've been getting mine fresh, at Sunflower Farmer's Market. Compared with other types of mushrooms, this one's expensive. . . something like $9/pound. But, I usually buy four or five at a time, which is affordable. Perhaps some day I can grow my own; for now, I have Sunflower Farmer's Market.

Here's a simple recipe I can offer. None of that caramelized, Americanized stuff Noodles & Co. offers.

Udon is needed.

Doesn't this look heavenly already?


Here's what the shiitake mushroom look like.


Ingredients:
  • udon
  • water
  • chicken broth
  • green onions - sliced thinly
  • shiitake mushrooms = sliced thinkly
  • garlic - diced
  • sea salt
  • soy sauce
Directions:
  • Bring water to a boil. Boil the udon for six minutes.
  • Dump out a fair portion of the water (not all) and add some chicken broth, green onions, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms. Once the green onions and garlic have had a chance to boil for several minutes, add some sea salt and tid bit of soy sauce.

No comments: