Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tortilla pie

I developed this recipe from the June 2007 issue of Parents magazine (p. 198). I think this serves five people (going back for seconds). So, here's my version of the recipe:

Tortilla Pie

Ingredients:
2 small cans of black beans, rinsed & drained
2 cans (10 or 11 oz. each) of whole-kernel corn with red & green peppers, drained
1 jar (16 oz.) chunky mild salsa
1 package of chicken breast, cut fajita style
10 10" flour tortillas
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
shredded Mexican cheese (a medley of three different cheeses)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Cook the chicken in a pan. Once the chicken is done, add the black beans, corn, and salsa; bring to a boil.

3. Spray the bottom of the baking pan with vegetable cooking spray (NOTE: I used a baking pan made of stoneware. Usually I ignore the instructions to spray the bottom of the pan, and usually that's fine. But, this was an exception. The tortillas stuck to the pan).

4. Place one tortilla in the coated pan. Top with a thin layer of the chicken/bean mixture and a good helping of shredded cheese. Layer one more time, finishing with a tortilla on top.

5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Today, I made this to eat for the first time ever. It was a hit! Definitely a keeper.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I'm waiting for more recipes!