Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Take two, Risotto with Seared Scallops

I am working on the risotto, until I get something with which I am well pleased. Nothing less. This past Saturday, I changed things up a bit. I liked the results more than the first time I made it.

2012-7-21

Risotto with Seared Scallops



Ingredients:

  • 8 c. chicken broth (I don't remember my measurement equivalents. I learned or was reminded that 1 quart has 4 c. - I used 2 boxes of the chicken broth)
  • olive oil
  • 1 medium vidalia onion, diced
  • 3.5 oz shiitake mushrooms, diced
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 10 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 tbs parsley - I couldn't find any fresh parsley. Wish I had.
  • 2 tbs butter
  • sea salt, colorful peppercorn (ground fresh, on the spot, with my pepper mill)
  • truffle oil - a drizzle here, a drizzle there - careful with this; truffle oil carries a very strong flavor
  • 2 c. Arborio rice
  • 1/2 c. sherry - I used whatever wine I happened to have
  • soy sauce - a dab here, a dab there
  • four cloves of garlic - minced
  • chives - chopped finely
  • scallops
Directions:

  1. On low to medium heat, with some olive oil, cook half the garlic & half the onion until translucent or somewhat clear.
  2. Add mushrooms, herbs (spices), butter until lightly brown. Add some sea salt. Drizzle a bit of truffle oil (use only a minimal amount, because truffle oil carries a powerful and sometimes overwhelming flavor). Add 1 c. of chicken broth. Add some salt and freshly ground pepper. Saute for a minute or two, then set aside (shown in the photograph above).
  3. Using same pan, add some more olive oil. Add the other 1/2 of the onion and the rest of the garlic. Saute (like step 1) until transparent. Add rice and stir quickly, for a few minutes. Stir in the wine and stir. 
  4. Slowly add 1 c. of chicken broth and stir until the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
  5. Repeat Step 4 until all the broth is stirred in.
  6. Transfer mushrooms to rice mixture.
  7. When done, add chives and stir briefly.
  8. When plated (placed in a bowl or plate), place seared scallop(s) on top.


Mmmm, seared scallops. I used red miso glaze in searing these scallops.


No comments: