Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not trying for an easy way out

Um, so, I really need to be in bed (super tired and have slept quite poorly the past few days), but after working on a paper due first thing in the morning - I need to relax and calm down before sleep is even a possibility. I'm saying all this to apologize for any hiccups in writing this post.

I wanted to make something easy that the girls would like. Don't mistaken this for thinking I had an easy day. I wouldn't call cleaning hardwood floors on my hands and knees, whilst my bum still hurts from Saturday, fun. I also wouldn't call running around cleaning the bathroom, clearing some counter top and table top clutter, washing dishes enjoyable either. I had so much to do and such little time on my hands. All I had in the refrigerator that was already cooked was curry, and the girls have been protesting the consumption of that.

Well, both girls like tofu (especially baked tofu, but I don't have any of that on hand) and both love pasta. So, I decided to make a dish involving both. But, I wanted it to be something I could appreciate. Blandness was not an option.

Perhaps I went for some sort of Asian fusion. I'm not sure why fusion sort of dishes are popular in chef circles, because sometimes I think it ends up being, well, not true to any culture. I think of the "Chinese restaurants" I've been too, and most of them don't serve authentic Chinese food. A lot of people I know believe authentic Chinese food can be sweet and sour. Blah, blah, blah. Anyways, everything I put into the dish is Asian, except the swirly pasta.


2010-3-31

I'm so tired, I can't write much longer and I have no ideas for any titles. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Ingredients:
  • pasta
  • 2 packages of tofu
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • sesame oil
  • sea salt
  • soy sauce
Directions:

I cooked the pasta separately. In a pan, I caramelized the red onion (I didn't use any sugar). Then dropped in the tofu and the cooked pasta (cooked al dente). Followed by some sesame oil, sea salt and a bit of soy sauce (careful with the soy sauce on 2 counts - making the dish too dark and too salty).

The smell of the sesame oil was intoxicating; smelled so very good.

***

Oh, and in the flurry hurry I was in today, I accidentally slammed the door on my middle right finger. OUCH!


No comments: