Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lily Chang's Hot and Sour Soup

2010-4-27

Lily's Hot and Sour Soup


If you are new here, you need to know that I've been cooking for a long time now, using my sense of smell and taste. I also think of the dish I am making as a work of art. Taste, smell, and presentation all matter. That being said, rules are made to be broken, and recipes, such as this one, are completely my own. Stuff like celery, corn, and tomatoes are not standard fare in "traditional" hot and sour soups. That's why I've titled this Lily's Hot and Sour Soup, not that other recipes on this blog aren't mine; it's just that this one's a bit more unique in personality. Capeesh?

If you are relatively new here, you should also know that I never cook the same dish exactly the same way. I also fudge on the amounts needed to make the item, because the truth is, I am not sure how much I use. I also do not usually cook with measuring spoons unless we're talking about desserts, and desserts are way out of my comfort zone for cooking.

The hot and sour soup I made this afternoon, well I neither had the time nor the energy to photograph the making process. So, you're stuck with this finished product. If you want some version of my recipe, here it is. What isn't on that recipe is sesame oil. Also, instead of using canned diced tomatoes, this afternoon I used fresh cluster tomatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking about the soup.

No comments: