Friday, June 25, 2010

Pickled Kohlrabi


Pickled Kohlrabi

Onwards with the Taiwanese dishes. This doesn't involve any heated surfaces. This has been one of many, many favorites since childhood. What can I say? I love to eat, it's not just about throwing random ingredients together, and sometimes the most delicious things are simple.

Enter in kohlrabi. From my dad's garden.

Are you familiar with kohlrabi? Do you realize that that is HUGE for kohlrabi? Not sure? Compare with the tomato pictured below. Normally kohlrabi found in grocery stores are the size of the tomato seen below. If bigger, oftentimes the stuff is too tough and too old to enjoy. But not this one. My dad is a truly amazing gardener.

Ingredients:

The most important is kohlrabi.


To pickle the vegetable, I used sea salt, rice vinegar, and sugar. I didn't pay attention to the quantities I used, so look here, where I made a cucumber salad for an idea. Recently, my dad made pickled kohlrabi using sesame oil. What a great idea; I decided to follow suit.

Be careful not to get too happy with the sesame oil; it carries much flavor in minute quantities. I probably used less than a teaspoon.


The kohlrabi needs to be skinned (the outside layer needs to be cut off) and then cut thinly. First, I cut it like this.


And then this.


After giving the kohlrabi a chance to soak in the aforementioned ingredients, it's ready to serve. The photograph at the top of the page was taken after it had sat, refrigerated, overnight.

No comments: